Fedora 8 and Dual Opterons - Seg Fault During Boot

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:50:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 00:43 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:41 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > What kind of RAID is it?
> > SATA? SCSI?
> > What chipset are you using?
> > Motherboard?
> >
> > - Gilboa
> >

> It has raid on the MOBO but I don't remember how we set it up originally
> (way back when with Fedora 3). I don't remember if we used the raid on
> the MOBO or did it via software.
[snip]
> 03:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114
> [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

OK, it looks like a semi-software Silicon Image SATA RAID.
I'd disable it and create a software RAID instead.
(Better performance; can can be used on other machines; etc)

> As I said previously, once I switched to the vesa driver, I get a 1280x
> 1040 display. I looked at the X log when trying the radeon driver - I
> don't see any problems - it correctly identifies the monitor as a Dell
> P1110 and knows that it can do up to 1800x1440. But when using the
> radeon driver with Fedora 8, the display looks like old analog TV with a
> rolling, distorted screen that is unusable. (It works fine under Fedora
> 7 and all the way back to Fedora 3).

Can't help you there.
I have little experience with AMD/ATI cards.
I'd suggest you file a bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com .
(And attach a screen shot - if you have digital camera - for good
measure)

> I got nowhere with the ATI proprietary flgrx driver (from their web
> page) but was able to install this via an rpm from livna. I did this
> remotely so I won't be able to really try this driver until I go back to
> the office on Monday.

Good luck!

- Gilboa