going from x86 to x64

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:13:01 UTC 2008

Scott van Looy wrote:
> I have an old server that I've retired, but I need, so I've bought a
> dual opteron server to replace it. I can take the old drive out and put
> it in the new server, but is there an easy way I can migrate from x86 to
> x64 using yum or something? Changing the arch and then downloading a new
> kernel? Can anyone see any issues with this other than having to
> carefully clean up the mess of x86 libraries after?

I think that you just have to install the new kernel but to be honest I
am not sure. See if you can find this thread :

  Installing 32 and 64 bits in the same machine

It may offer some insight as some people that responded seem to have
both the 32 and 64 bit versions installed.
Be sure and post back the solution once you find it. This topic will be
repeating it self  as more people migrate to 64 bit.

Good Luck!

-Max