GRUB

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jan 27 00:54:58 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     I got interested in an old thing I thought might still work. This
>>> you can do from a rescue disk that goes into grub, which is all the
>>> Fedora ones for some time. I wanted to type this in the grub and see if
>>> it works:
>>>

>>> grub> root (hd1,4)
>>> grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-107.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/
>>> grub> boot
>>>

>> Don't you need initrd ?
>>

>     Well it came back and told me what kernel it found and I thought it
> was happy so I did boot, but it didn't.
>
>     My problem about grub is there are a lot of changes from just 3
> years ago.

I agree with you that grub documentation leaves something to be desired.

However, I would have to add that I am amazed that you have not noticed
in your reading about grub
that you normally need an initrd as well as a kernel
to start a Linux system.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366