CD and DVD ISO images

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Jan 27 02:11:55 UTC 2008

William Hooper wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 4:58 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Way be when I first looked at downloading Debian, I had a similar
>>> experience.  The difference was that I see no value in having to
>>> download and install a special program that I'm going to only use once
>>> to download one thing.  I already have ways of downloading files via
>>> ftp, http, etc., why do I need to mess with this new program?
>> Well... it does use http. The why would be for similar reasons people
>> use torrent. Also like why you could use a telnet client to browse to
>> view a web page via http, but you get a browser instead (bad example).
>
> Exactly my point.  I already have a bunch of programs to download
> files.  "Bob" is going to ask why he can't just use IE, Firefox,
> uTorrent, <insert P2P app-o-the-week>.  Why do I need this "special"
> download program that I've never heard of that I will only use to
> download Fedora?  If Linux is that hard, why bother...
>
> Personally, I can see where jigdo makes sense if you already have some
> of the files downloaded, but the new user is going to be starting from
> zero.

Luckily, Jigdo isn't mutually exclusive with BitTorrent. Concerning the
issues stated, I hope distribution via BitTorrent is going to continue.
Jigdo is one way for users to get the distribution whereof I assume it
is a better and way more efficient way - for those who can use it.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip