Re: GRUB

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

    I got interested in an old thing I thought might still work. This
you can do from a rescue disk that goes into grub, which is all the
Fedora ones for some time. I wanted to type this in the grub and see if
it works:

grub> root (hd1,4)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-107.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/
grub> boot
Don't you need initrd ?

    Well it came back and told me what kernel it found and I thought it
was happy so I did boot, but it didn't.

    My problem about grub is there are a lot of changes from just 3
years ago.

I agree with you that grub documentation leaves something to be desired.

However, I would have to add that I am amazed that you have not noticed
in your reading about grub
that you normally need an initrd as well as a kernel to start a Linux system.

I think it is only absolutely required if the device drivers needed to access the root filesystem must be loaded as modules.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com