Minor Sound availability problem with Fedora 8

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 02:44:45 UTC 2008

Pulse Audio works fine.

With F8, I have set up system parameters to initiate sound when the logon screen is presented after a boot. It is the same setting that I use with Fedora 7.
I have another sound setup for a failed logon (password or user error). This too does not work (Using Gnome).

Interestingly KDE generates sound when a logon is successful. Part of the above settings.

>From what I understand, pulse audio is started as a system service, so it should be available when the logon screen is presented.

I would appreciate some areas where I can do some investigation (troubleshooting).

Pulse works find with vlc, mplayer, xmms, xine, and every other audio/video player, so I just want to confirm to my peers that I do need some troubleshooting advice for the logon screen sound..