No control on volume after upgrade F7 -> F8

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jan 27 15:33:54 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 08:42, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> Hi, I've got another problem after upgrading to F8. None of the volume
> controls work :(
>
> system-config-soundcard detects my card, and plays the test sound fine,
> but I can't change how loud it is played. Neither does
> gnome-volume-control work. It has no effect on the volume.
>
> Running alsamixer I get this message:
>
> +++
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
> +++
>
> Is there any way I can run F8 without PulseAudio? It seams it isn't an
> integral and stable part of Fedora yet. With F7 everything was working
> great but F8 is giving me a hard time :(
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Przemek

You can easily disable pulseaudio by a:
yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Now everything will go direct through Alsa. If you use KDE, doing the above
will also remove kde-settings-pulseaudio.

If you use any SDL audio apps, add the line below to /home/user/.bashrc.
unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

This will remove the hack that SDL programs need to use pulseaudio.

I disabled it myself on F8. Some have said that they have it working just
fine, and have also seen the same today on the Debian list, where someone
using Debian Sid (unstable) say's they are very pleased with pulseaudio.

I don't know. Perhaps I just don't like new things being thrust on me. As an
example udev has caused folks problems with the ordering of devices (myself
included), which wasn't there pre udev.

Nigel.