going from x86 to x64

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Sun Jan 27 18:41:30 UTC 2008

On Jan 26 Sam Varshavchik did spake thusly:

> Scott van Looy writes:
>
>> I have an old server that I've retired, but I need, so I've bought a dual
>> opteron server to replace it. I can take the old drive out and put it in
>> the new server, but is there an easy way I can migrate from x86 to x64
>> using yum or something? Changing the arch and then downloading a new
>> kernel? Can anyone see any issues with this other than having to carefully
>> clean up the mess of x86 libraries after?
>
> Although this is technically possible, if you have to ask this question, it's
> probably better for you to just bite the bullet, back up any important files,
> and reinstall fresh.
>
> At the very least you need to first upgrade the x86 Fedora install to the
> same Fedora release, first. Then, force install the x86_64 kernel, glibc, and
> rpm. Cross your fingers, reboot, then if everything goes all right,
> methodically go through every x86 package on the system, and replace it with
> the x86_64 one.
>
> No, this is not one of those "push a few buttons, type a magical yum command,
> and everything will be done correctly" kind of a deal.

Transaction Check Error:
   package kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.x86_64 is intended for a x86_64
architecture

Bah.

I know it's not gonna be easy, but it's a hardware issue, getting install
media to work is difficult at best

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003