OT: unathorized network user.

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 27 18:59:06 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jacques B. wrote:
>>> Now if only I could get it to actually mail me it's logged data.  I
>>> told
>>> it to do so, but that doesn't work and I can't find the log files
>>> except
>>> via the browser screen?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Bob Goodwin
>>
>> I have the same problem.  My ISP requires that a user sending mail
>> authenticates first (same username & password as when retrieving POP
>> mail).  I suspect this is to prevent someone from using their SMTP
>> server anonymously to relay spam.  Unfortunately my router log
>> settings only have a field for the SMTP server and the email account.
>> It doesn't allow me to enter a username & password.  It also does not
>> have an option to send the logs to a central logging server.
>>
>> I checked the manufacturer's web site and I have the latest firmware
>> that they provide.  And since it's a few years old, I don't foresee
>> them releasing any new firmware as it's no doubt an end of life
>> product.  So my options are to either log onto it regularly and use
>> the option to save the logs locally (onto the machine I'm using to
>> access the router) and then clear the logs, or nothing at all (or go
>> buy a new one that allows you to enter a username & password along
>> with the SMTP server).  I was wondering if I would be able to set up
>> an SMTP server on my local machine and then put that machine's
>> internal IP for the SMTP server setting on the router and see if that
>> works.  But I really don't have the time to fuss with that for a home
>> environment.
>>
>> Sounds like you are in the same situation as me.
>>
>> Jacques B.
>>
> If you enable the mail server on your Linux box, you can have it
> receive the mail from your router, and either put it in a local mail
> box, or forward it to your ISP. (The default setup will only receive
>  mail from localhost, and does not know how to connect to your ISP.)
>
> I am kind of surprised that your ISP will not accept an e-mail to an
> "local" address from a machine on its network. I can see it if you
> were trying to relay mail through the server, or if your IP was on one
> of the SPAM lists. In other words, I would expect it to handle the
> mail just as it does mail from another mail server that is addressed
> to one of its users.
>
> Mikkel
Yes, I'm able to do:

mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin at wildblue.net < /var/spool/mail/root

and get a nicely formatted copy of that sent through my Thunderbird mail.

Setting up the Netgear router via the browser interface never sends
anything although I've set the server [numerically] and my e-mail
address as it requests when I click on "send log" it churns a bit,
clears the screen, but nothing is received, and the log data evaporates.

I guess the log data is stored internally in the router and I have no
direct access to it other than through the browser interface.

Bob Goodwin