Maintaining a local yum repository

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 27 20:57:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 16:53 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:
> Craig White escribió:

> >> Has anybody tried yam?
> >>
> >> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/yam/
> > ----
> > yam is now mrepo
> >
> > It's awesome
>
> Is there something that will just do proxy with cache and not mirror
> sync? I mean, just download what you're installing or updating to get
> cached in disk, not the whole repo.
>
> Something like a proxy. :-D
----
in essence, all you need is a web server, the 'createrepo' package (to
create the repodata directory) and a customized local.repo file in
yum.repos.d

But in reality, after you install mrepo and configure (and it took, me a
day or so to get everything that wasn't included on the DVD and all of
'updates' downloaded), the benefit is that it's always lightning quick
to install/update because everything is local.

It also becomes real easy to do a new install (via http).

Craig