going from x86 to x64

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 28 00:42:01 UTC 2008

Scott van Looy wrote:
> On Jan 26 Sam Varshavchik did spake thusly:
>
>> Scott van Looy writes:
>>
>>> I have an old server that I've retired, but I need, so I've bought a
>>> dual opteron server to replace it. I can take the old drive out and
>>> put it in the new server, but is there an easy way I can migrate from
>>> x86 to x64 using yum or something? Changing the arch and then
>>> downloading a new kernel? Can anyone see any issues with this other
>>> than having to carefully clean up the mess of x86 libraries after?
>>
>> Although this is technically possible, if you have to ask this
>> question, it's probably better for you to just bite the bullet, back
>> up any important files, and reinstall fresh.
>>
>> At the very least you need to first upgrade the x86 Fedora install to
>> the same Fedora release, first. Then, force install the x86_64 kernel,
>> glibc, and rpm. Cross your fingers, reboot, then if everything goes
>> all right, methodically go through every x86 package on the system,
>> and replace it with the x86_64 one.
>>
>> No, this is not one of those "push a few buttons, type a magical yum
>> command, and everything will be done correctly" kind of a deal.
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   package kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.x86_64 is intended for a x86_64
> architecture
>
> Bah.
>
> I know it's not gonna be easy, but it's a hardware issue, getting
> install media to work is difficult at best

man yum.conf
You can change this:
exactarch

This is harder to fake, but I'm sure it's possible:
VARIABLES
   $arch

It's also possible to force things with rpm, but you will need a
recovery plan in place. Make sure you have the needed rpms handy,
preferably make a repo if you haven't downloaded on, then have at it
with much determination. You can do it![1]

years ago, I upgraded from RHL 5.2 to 6.0 using only rpm. It's roughly
equivalent in difficulty & hazards.

[1] remember, this is a learning experience. If the results are
satisfactory, that's a bonus.

--

Cheers
John