Re: GRUB

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 11:02 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
In the F8 info grub it states you can boot a linux computer with this:

grub> root (hd0,4)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz
grub> boot

That used to work, and may still work with some distros.  Because
inside /boot there's a symlink from "vmlinuz" *to* the latest current
vmlinuz file.

But this does not work on F8.

I don't do Fedora 8 yet, but 7 doesn't have that symlink, and I don't
remember seeing it for a very long time, perhaps as far back as Red Hat
Linux 7.

 I used full kernel address and root= things and Grub found the right
kernel.

Of course that's going to work, if done right.  But I suspect that you
haven't included the initrd line, and that your system needs something
from the initrd file to be able to work.

Then I applied the boot and grub dropped out and there was no boot and
no information on why.

What do you mean by "applied the boot"?

   I typed boot enter in the grub window.

Karl