Mounting SD card with specific encoding

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:31:47 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Note also that I cannot unmount the device once mounted as above:
> $ sudo umount -a
> umount: /home: device is busy
> umount: /dev: device is busy
> umount: /proc/bus/usb: device is busy
> umount: /var/run: device is busy
> umount: /sys: device is busy
> umount: /: device is busy

As Tod Merley points out, you're trying to unmount everything
here.  You can either do 'umount <devicename>' or 'umount
<mountpoint>' to unmount the specific fs you want.  The problem
you're seeing may be because something (I assume it's Gnome)
keeps hold mounted filesystems it notices to put on the desktop.
As they're not in fstab it wont let you unomunt them by right
clicking either.  The work-around is to use the lazy unmount
option, -l.  Definitely don't do -la, as it problem can unmount /
for you.

--
imalone