/usr/sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 13409 Terminated

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 28 13:47:40 UTC 2008

Yogesh Patil wrote:
> Hi, all
>       I am trying to connect bsnl dataone adsl connection over fedora
> core 8, i have configured ppp0 interface by using pppoe-setup command
> over eth0, and first time it worked well but when i restarted PC i am
> getting the error, i am having dual operating system install Windows
> Vista / Fedora core 8, i am using same modem with the same modem
> configuration in Windows Vista it is able to connect, but in linux
> when i put /sbin/ifup ppp0 command for birnging up ppp0 interface it
> waits for some time give the following error
>
> /usr/sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 13409 Terminated              $CONNECT
> "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1
>        I have checked with /var/log/messages but still not clue, what
> is the cause of error, i have also tryied re-installing fedora on
> different PC but still it gives same error after working first time.

Whenever I have a problem like this (and this particular package has
bitten me at least twice), I
1. heap curses on the head of the twit who thought error messages should
be hidden from the user
2. Delete  relevant references to /dev/null such as the one in the line
you quote.

It's also worth reading the pppd man page and adding debugging options
to the options file that's being used. Some script reading may be needed.

Reinstalling Linux rarely fixes Linux, unless you know you've done
something daft.

--

Cheers
John