Wireless (again)

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:28:40 UTC 2008

> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> From: gayleard at eircom.net
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:54:15 +0000
> Subject: RE: Wireless (again)

>>> I have two PCMCIA WiFi cards in my hand.
>>> One is named "Orinoco Gold" and the other "Vivanco WLAN PCC 54".
>>> I notice two things about them:
>>>
>>> 1) Neither has any mention of the chipset it contains
>>>
>>> 2) Neither has any obvious way of seeing what is in the card,
>>> short of destroying it.
>>>
>>> What did you think I would notice, as a matter of interest?
>
>> 1. You should see a version or product number (may be in small print, so
>> put on your glasses and look). 2. You should see a serial number.
>
> Sigh.
> I do see the product number on the card
> (not the firmware version, since I have upgraded this).
> I do see the serial number.
>
> I DO NOT SEE THE CHIPSET.

Well then, thats what you should look up. Between that and what you get from the dmesg and other utilities mentioned throughout this thread by others you should determine the chipset.

Thats the point of this discussion. YOU need to find the info, the helpers can only guide you where to look. And if they don't know then you need to solve the problem yourself- believe me I know, I have to build a driver for a hybrid tv card for FreeBSD because there simply is no solution. And I don't know how to build drivers- but if I start others will then help.

The way you're responding is not conducive to others helping you here. Be not so abrasive and others will actually want to help you- up till now you've been biting the hand.
Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT