2 out of 4 usb sockets work

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 28 15:19:58 UTC 2008

Ian Malone wrote:

> I have a similar issue:
> [ian at atlas ~]$ /sbin/lspci |grep -i usb
> 00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
> 00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
> [ian at atlas ~]$ /sbin/lsusb -t
> Bus#  2
> `-Dev#   1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000
>   `-Dev#   6 Vendor 0x0bc2 Product 0x3000
> Bus#  1
> `-Dev#   1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000
>   |-Dev#   4 Vendor 0x045e Product 0x0059
>   |-Dev#   6 Vendor 0x0d8d Product 0x0653
>   `-Dev#   5 Vendor 0x05a9 Product 0x0518
>
> This comprises a USB audio handset, mouse, hard-disc and webcam
> (which no longer works in FC6, but it only just about works under
> Windows too).
>
> When in Windows I have USB bandwidth issues trying to use all of
> these at once.  Three devices (the mouse, webcam and handset) show
> up under one controller, the disc under another, no matter how
> I shuffle the plugs around.
>
> This motherboard has 4 USB sockets on the rear panel and headers
> for another 4, of which two are attached to ports.  I've come to
> the conclusion:
> 1.  I only have one controller, I can't see any other reason for
>   the bandwidth problem.
> 2.  Three of the devices do USB 1.1, the disc is the only one doing
>   USB 2.0 (since it shows up under the high speed controller.

The hub determines if the socket is connected to the USB 2.0 or 1.1
controller, based on the device plugged in. It is possible that both
controllers and the hub are all on the same chip. Because the drive
is the only USB 2.0 device, it will always be connected to the USB
2.0 controller, no matter what socket you plug it into.

Mikkel