setting preferences globally?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Jan 28 18:07:14 UTC 2008

francis keyes wrote, On 01/28/2008 11:54 AM:
> Hi All,
>
> I work at an organization with 4 Fedora 7 machines that are Desktop
> computers shared among over 100 people.  The problem is that NOBODY
> remembers to log out when they are done with a particular machine.  This
> leaves the screen locked and the next user has to choose "switch user" to
> log in, which ends up causing various problems when 30 people are logged
> into a machine but only one is actually using it.
>

> My question is:  as root, is there a way that I can set every user's screen
> saver preferences to NOT lock the screen?

sort of...
assuming gdm is in use, make sure X accepts CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
or a cron that issues a machine reboot at 0001.

these are kind of rough on the "inconsiderate/careless" person's
application/unsaved data, but did they not ask for it?
i.e., use with appropriate care.

<OK, so it is a work around to the problem of the OP instead of an answer, but
I think it is better than not locking the screen>

--
Todd Denniston