Wireless (again)

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jan 29 00:23:26 UTC 2008

Da Rock wrote:

>>> 1. You should see a version or product number (may be in small print, so
>>> put on your glasses and look). 2. You should see a serial number.
>>
>> Sigh.
>> I do see the product number on the card
>> (not the firmware version, since I have upgraded this).
>> I do see the serial number.
>>
>> I DO NOT SEE THE CHIPSET.
>>

> Well then, thats what you should look up. Between that and what you get
> from the dmesg and other utilities mentioned throughout this thread by
> others you should determine the chipset.

Look, you said I would see the chipset on the card.
I DON'T SEE THE CHIPSET ON THE CARD.
I've NEVER seen the chipset on any WiFi card.

> Thats the point of this discussion. YOU need to find the info, the helpers
> can only guide you where to look.

I don't need to find any info.
I know everything I want to know about all the WiFi devices I have.
I don't want to know their chipsets.

SOMEONE ELSE asked how you could find the chipset.
Various people, including you, gave answers to this.
I simply pointed out that your answer -
that the chipset is given on the card - is utter nonsense.

> The way you're responding is not conducive to others helping you here.

I'm not looking for help from anyone - certainly not you -
on this issue.
All the WiFi devices I use (half-a-dozen or so) work with kernel drivers,
or in one case (a USB device) with a driver I compile.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366