source sharing group

Martin Marques martin at marquesminen.com.ar
Tue Jan 29 12:25:32 UTC 2008

Cameron Simpson escribió:

> Not really. Anyone can use a VCS. Why should they need to be in a particular
> group? That is a policy decision for your particular system.  Example: at my
> workplace there are SVN and CVS repositories with _different_ groups to
> constrain access to particular project groups.

You mean that all the other groups that a normal Fedora
Server/Workstation has are always needed?

What group should /var/cvs or /var/lib/cvs have?

> For your system you may well have a single group who uses the VCS, and
> then you need only one group. But you don't really need a group at all
> (for example, I have a few mercurial repositories at home wholly for me
> - no group is involved at all).

Well, actually I was trying to build a centralized mercurial repository
to share with hgweb, and I stumbled when looking for a group to use.

BTW, a /var/lib/hg directory wouldn't hurt to have after installing
mercurial. If you want to have a centralized copy to share, you know
where to put it (in a standardized mode), else, it's just an empty
directory laying there.

> So a VCS shouldn't impose a group on the system. Make the group
> yourself, and set your own policy as you see fit.

Why not have a standard group for this?