static problems. (subject change)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jan 29 14:39:00 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> I'd imagine that the worst PCs for being vulnerable could be the cheap
> cases with the all-plastic front panel, with no metal behind it.  The PC
> is no-longer completely inside a metal enclosure that'd offer it some
> protection.  You could zap the front, and have it go *through* parts of
> the computer before reaching ground, rather than having a charge go
> *around* the casing and to ground.

I don't think I have ever seen a case like that. I have seen plastic
fronts with an almost tinfoil backing, but there has always been
some metal. I would think a computer with a case that does not
surround the motherboard and assorted parts with metal would
generate a lot of RF interference. I would think the various
regulatory agencies would have something to say about that.

Mikkel