error message (unable to Access Resume Device(Label=/dev/sdc5)

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 01:45:47 UTC 2008

 fstab posted
followed by grub.conf

Message: 10
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:22:26 -0600
From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
Subject: Re: How to fix error message (unable to Access Resume Device
 (Label=/dev/sdc5)
To: For users of Fedora

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Subject line says it all.
>
> I get the message during the boot process, but I do not notice any
> problem thereafter.
>
> Where do I start looking for circumvention?

You really should put the question in the message as well as the
subject. In any case, you can ignore the message, unless you are
planing on hibernating the system. What it is doing is trying to
access a swap partition on /dev/sdc5, and it is not able to do it.

If you want to look into it farther, please post your
/boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab files.

Mikkel

 [leslie at localhost etc]$ cat fstab
LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/data             /data                   ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=/dev/sdc5         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdc5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/MainSda/swap       swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
#/dev/main/swap         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

sudo cat grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,4)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdc5
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sdc
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
password --md5 $1$oXQ90P5D$M6WTihnhXS4W7PViaHn0U1
title Fedora (2.6.23.14-107.fc8) 64bit
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-107.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.9-85.fc8) 64bit
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.9-85.fc8.img
[leslie at localhost grub]$

I have two other disks in the system, one is dual boot xp-pclinuxos
second disk is fedora 7, _64

I am trying to understand the comments in the grub.conf

Leslie