sound problems

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 30 03:42:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:15:38 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> I've recently installed FC8 and have been trying to get the sound to
> work. The system-config-soundcard plays its tune but everything else is
> silent. Back in the day, you only had to turn up the volume on alsamixer
> but now when I try starting alsamixer I get the message " ***
> PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused."
>
> Does each application have to be configured to work with pulseaudio?
>
> Why does something as simple as sound on a PC require a Senior Tech to
> work in Fedora?
>
> For starters:
> (1) How do I get the mplayer plugin I have up and running in Firefox to
> include sound?
> (2) How do I get sound from xmms?
>
> Any roadmaps or even pointers in the right direction would be
> appreciated.
>
> Jerry

If you run mplayer at the prompt, then

mplayer -ao pulse ... # will use pulse
mplayer -ao alsa ... # will use alsa, if yo so prefer, which is the
default in mplayer.

To force it to use pulse by default put

ao = pulse

in ~/.mplayer/config

I guess if you do that, then mplayer plug-in would have sound too.

I no longer use xmms, but I remember it had a menu where you could select
which sound system to use (alsa, oss, esd). Not sure if it has pulseaudio
yet.

I am using pulseaudio ok for the most part, with two exceptions:

1) When watching a full length movie with mplayer in full screen mplayer
freezes after about 20-30 minutes into the movie (but I can go to another
screen, open a shell and kill it). This only happens with pulseaudio, not
with alsa, so I'm using mplayer with alsa (although I haven't tested this
behavior with the latest updates).

2) flite (which is used by things like roadnav, or mail notification)
doesn't know about pulseaudio, or I don't know how to tell it to use
pulseaudio, so I can't use it at all, which is too bad. I think flite is
a good replacement for festival, and should become the default speech
synthesis system. Hope this bug will be fixed in a future release.

I can get flite (and probably anything else) to work with alsa if I
remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio (no need to remove other pulseaudio rpms).
I'm ok with pulseaudio for now.