package manager problems: rpm db corruption|glibc detected double-linked|etc

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 29 12:21:28 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> Static's usually not a problem for the assembled computer.  Though
> there's cases of people walking up to a running computer and zapping it
> to death, and mouse cables charging up as they're dragged about the
> desk, they're a bit of a rarity.

Back when computers were real computers, and the US dollar was worth
about 70c (and shrinking), we had a room full of IBM 3270-compatible
terminals (I think they were actually Ratheon or something), a chap
(later my boss) got all charged up and accidentally discharged himself
on a terminal.

The terminals were all connected with coax cable to a controller (star
configuration, think of it as being a bit like a switch), and the shock
shut the controller down.

It restarted okay, but a dozen or so of us lost our work in progress.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait