Good bye

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 30 22:52:18 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Much of his problems had to do with 3rd party software like the
>>> Nvidia drivers, skype, etc.  It's hard to imagine how ubuntu could be
>>> more hostile to 3rd parties than fedora.
>> ----
>> I'm glad you have such a positive assessment of Fedora.
>
> Feel free to point out how I'm wrong if you can find any cases where the
> distro goes out of its way to help enable its users to install/use any
> 3rd party item.  The best thing I can say is that they try to be
> internally self-consistent most of the time.  But in my opinion, an
> operating system should be just be a platform where you install other
> things.  If it doesn't either provide a stable interface for those
> things or a mechanism to help deal with its unstable nature, there's not
> much point to using it.

Many years ago, RH used to ship CDE, maybe around RHL 4.x.

Unfortunately, CDE had a security problem. CDE is closed software. RH
takes security more seriously than its supplier did. RH could not get a
fix in a suitable timeframe.

RH immediately withdrew support, suggested people did not use it, and
offered paying customers a credit against their next purchase.

RH was a new company then; anyone who's still around from then is likely
senior management now.

Whatever their beliefs then, I'm sure that that experienced moved them a
a few points towards "open source and only open source."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait