Re: About ssh login

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Ritesh Yeole wrote:
Dear Sir,
                I want to ssh to my client ,there is sonic-firewall .

In firewall  static ip nat with server ip
Now i want to ssh it then it ask for password but when passwd put is says=
[root ndtest ~]# ssh ultra
root ultra's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root ultra's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root ultra's password:
Permission denied (publickey).
=================[root ndtest ~]# ssh raisoni
root raisoni's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root raisoni's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root raisoni's password:
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
[root ndtest ~]#

Plz tell me what is difference between them and how it is solved.

Thanks
Ritesh

The default sshd setup does NOT allow root to log in. It is usually a

Really?
20:01 [summer numbat ~]$ root 172.17.0.11
The authenticity of host '172.17.0.11 (172.17.0.11)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is eb:68:48:61:00:9a:24:ce:81:51:ed:d9:82:b9:92:96.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '172.17.0.11' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
root 172 17 0 11's password:
Last login: Thu Jan 31 06:01:38 2008
[root localhost ~]#

That's a freshly-installed CentOS5 box. I don't imagine the CentOS folk changed that.

bad idea to root logins from the Internet because it exposes the root account to automated cracking attempts. If you must allow root logins from the internet, at least limit it to using key pairs. If you can, also limit it to connections for a specific IP address, or range of addresses.

Rat-limiting with iptables is good. Blocking China. Japan, USA, Mexico is good if you don't live there.

As others have said, it is better to log in as a normal user, and then become root. It does not eliminate automated attacks, but it does make them harder.

I limit ssh from most of the world to five/hour. It makes it dashed hard to guess even a weak password.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait