Nautilus annoyances - can configuration change these, if so how?

Bob Marcan bob.marcan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:07:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:41:19 +0000
Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:47:06AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:32:12AM +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> > >
> > > Incidentally, if you want a filemanager that does behave the way you like
> > > (and has some *very* cool features, like proper regex-based
> > > search-and-replace file renaming, or renaming based on audio tags), you
> > > should look at Thunar, which is also gtk-based so has a fairly small
> > > footprint. I use this for preference on whatever desktop env I run.
> > >
> > OK, thanks, I'll take a lok at thunar.
> >
> > Nautilus has some other annoyances that would be good to be rid of.
> >
> I have just installed thunar and it seems a pretty good match to my
> requirements at least, thank you.  It doesn't try and take over the
> world in quite the way that nautilus does either.

Take a look at http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~hch/filerunner.html too.
Two panel file manager.
If you live mostly in line mode, it is excelent.
Select files in fr window then simply paste it to xterm.
Needs some patches to run on the recent tcl/tk.
I am still on FC4 with tcl-8.4.9-3.i386.
FC8 ships tcl-8.4.15-5.fc8, so i believe it will work there too.
If you want it, i can send you the patched src.rpm.

Best regards, Bob

 Bob Marcan, Consultant                mailto:bob.marcan at snt.si
 S&T Slovenija d.d.                    tel:   +386 (1) 5895-300
 Leskoskova cesta 6                    fax:   +386 (1) 5895-202
 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              url:   http://www.snt.si