How to tell if someone is connected via vnc

Olivier Robert robby57 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:05:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

I would check for established VNC connections this way:

netstat -tape | grep ESTABLISHED | grep Xvnc

As for warning connected users. If you see there is an established vnc
session on port 5902, you could simply do:

export DISPLAY=:2.0; xmessage -center -timeout 60 -file shutdown.txt >
/dev/null 2>&1

You could create a list of established connections, translate it to active
displays (5902 -> 2.0 | 5903 -> 3.0 ...) and send out a message.

Hope it helps
Olivier