[OT - NOT FEDORA] Question for the TV engineers

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Thu Jan 31 18:38:50 UTC 2008

John Wendel wrote:
> James Kosin wrote:
>> John Wendel wrote:
>>> ~    (c)   Using a splitter?
>>>  (c) Yes, 2
>>
>> Two splitters on the same connection??
>>
>> -James
>>

> Yes, I split the main cable connection into 2 cables (6-foot to TV,
> 20-foot to computer) and then split the computer cable into 2 6-foot
> cables for 2 computers. Have I violated some limit?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> John

No, not exactly.

Every splitter in the chain will cause a signal loss of about 3dB on
average.  3dB compares to about 1/2 the signal is lost.  Cable companies
can make up for this loss by providing an amplifier to the signal coming
into the house; but, they really don't like doing that.

You may want to contact your cable company and request a service visit
to check the signal quality.  They have equipment to measure quality and
may even have a solution for your problem.

Good Luck,

-James

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net