Where's ext2online?

Jim Andreu rms at andreu.org
Thu Jan 31 19:54:23 UTC 2008

Duane Clark wrote:
> Kirk Lowery wrote:
>>
>> Reading the man page on resize2fs, it notes: "As of this writing, the
>> Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for  filesystems mounted
>> using ext3 only." Yet when I used the LVM GUI app, it choked at this
>> step, saying it couldn't unmount the root filesystem. That's
>> understandable, but it raises the question: can one use resize2fs from
>> a commandline while running fedora with the root filesystem mounted?
>
> In a similar situation, I booted from the DVD in "linux rescue" mode.
> I found that when it asked whether I wanted it to find and mount
> partitions, I needed to hit "skip".  If I allowed it to mount the root
> partition, I could not unmount it.
>
> In rescue mode, the vgscan, etc commands are not directly present, but
> the executable lvm is, which can do all those things. When you run lvm,
> you will get a new prompt, where you type lvm commands.

I was able to resize the mounted filesystem without going into rescue mode.
This was a remote system where "hands on" was not available.
I exited the GUI with the LV at the desired size.
I then did a resize2fs  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 from the command line
as root.
It warned me but did it.
It took a while.
I used up a good amount of Tums but it worked as advertised.

Cheers

--
All that's needed for Microsoft to succeed is for good programmers to do nothing.

believed to be clean.