Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Jul 1 14:06:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:05:50 +0930, Tim wrote:
	[....]
> Faced with trying to read technobabble output, you could have posted the
> whole thing to the list for more help with it.  At least you can with
> command line tools.

	Yes, ordinarily I would have; and I could have piped it into a
text editor to make a file I could copy in toto or attach -- or at least
I could have found out how to -- but this was such a vast file, and so
much of it surely irrelevant, that I couldn't see taking the bandwidth.

	Meanwhile, fortunately, I've discovered the secret of lshw-gui :
you have to double-click (even though my machines are single-click),
*not* just on what looks likeliest among the bolded text, but all the way
into the upper left corner (In this case on "Desktop Computer") and open
branches column by column, as if you were drilling down a series of
directories in the CLI (as, I suppose, in fact you are, behind the front
end). There's no way to skim to the middle and go from there.

	From there, I get to "Motherboard," and then to a listing of --
so help me -- BIOS, cpu, system memory, and *eleven* identical-looking
choices of "Host bridge." But ten of them don't seem to lead anywhere...

	Any hints on what I'm looking for may look like, so I'll know it
when I slog to it? Most of what I see seems to've come from VIA
Technologies.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers