Yum auto mirroring?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 1 17:35:18 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> What is the status of mirroring yum? I have two machines (soon to be) with F9.
>
> I would like to speed things up by hosting some form of mirroring on
> my Centos5 box.
>
> I am thinking Squid, but not sure if that's the best solution.
>
> Des anyone have success stories? Squid or otherwise? Ideally I could
> just set yum only to use a squid port, but yum doesn't seem to
> directly support proxies, just indirectly via ENV variables.
>
> I am open to suggestions.

Do an install, set the yum.conf to keep RPMs after use, and upgrade. Now
link all the rpm files in /var/cache/yum to a single directory and run
createrepo. You now have a repo of just the stuff you actually found useful.

One the next system, do the install, update from "your" repo, then set
the "save RPM" flag and update against the usual official repos. Move
any RPMs you use to the local repo. This will result in pulling anything
you need only one, and having only things you actually do need. Best of
all, you can use scripts to do this either automatically or by typing a
single command, as makes sense for you.

There's a command to prune the local repo to only the latest version of
things, sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>