F9: USB memory stick won't mount

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 1 22:58:16 UTC 2008

Brian Mury wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use a USB memory stick with F9. When I plug it in,
> Nautilus shows an unmounted "USB Drive". Double-clicking on causes a
> "Unable to mount location - Can't mount file" error. Right-clicking and
> selecting "Mount Volume" appears to do nothing.
>
> I can mount it from the shell with "mount /dev/sdb1 /media/abc -t
> msdos" (as root).

It looks from the messages that it is being properly detected, but
HAL is not mounting it. While it does not explain the problem, you
may be able to get it to mount if you give it a label. For the FAT
file system used on most memory sticks, it is easy to do in Windows,
but it is a bit complicated to do in Linux.

Mikkel