Regarding the keylogger in the linux fedora systems

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 2 19:02:52 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
> Kevin Martin wrote:
>>>

>> Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
>> the internet?
>>
>> Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
>> still, this might be what's going on.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> If the parent is that concerned, move the computer to a common room.
> Control access to times that the parents are home.
>
> Learn to talk to your kids and explain the consequences of doing the
> wrong thing.
>
> FWIW, my kids have their Firefox configured to delete the cache and
> cookies on closing.
>
> If they are a concerned parent about what kids are doing, then it
> would be easier to look at the data over the network port than a key
> logger as that would display sites and most of the data that is sent
> if it is captured.

And I agree 100% with what you're saying except:

It's not always as easy as that to control access unless you take away
the keyboard, lock the computer, etc. and

 the last statement.  Data over the network port won't be caught if it's
encrypted and, while you won't capture the other side of a conversation,
at least a keylogger will capture your kids side of it.  The parent can
probably make some deductions about the conversation at that point.

I'm all for trust and "teaching right and wrong" but kids will be kids
and, if it's gotten to the point where the parent is having to keylog
their kids conversations (or feels like they do) then those concepts
have been sidetracked somehow.

Kevin