Double checking grub-install -- revisited ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Jul 3 04:35:40 UTC 2008

Hi Tim;

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:28 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:43 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > If it is, how do I remove it (from sdb -- I presume)?
>
> Extra stuff shouldn't matter, if you configure the first thing to take
> over.
>
> i.e. I can have ten discs in a box, GRUB on all of them.  But if the
> first thing the BIOS does is read GRUB on the first drive, and that then
> loads the next stage properly, it doesn't matter what's on any other
> drive.
>
> Did you do what I suggested, long ago, issuing manual GRUB commands to
> set up your system?  (i.e. NOT using grub-install script).

No, I haven't yet.  I will in the morning.  I am not arguing with your
suggestion.  I, in fact, saved those instructions and went back to the
manual to make sure I thoroughly understood what I was doing.  I will
use them in the morning.

If you remember, except for the double splashimage, my system is booting
as it should.  Rather than simply getting things to work, the challenge
to me over the last couple of days has been to fully understand what has
been happening.  I have managed to dig into the workings of the mbr,
grub stages, video modes much deeper than if I had simply left things as
a booting problem to fix.  As I have said, I have climbed the grub
learning curve in the past.  This time I wanted to take an active role
in actually undoing something or fixing something.

> grub
> root (hd.....   (where /boot is)
> setup (hd....   (where BIOS starts to boot from)
> quit            (write the changes)

Perhaps I am being just a bit stubborn, but I wanted to learn how to
diagnose the problem first, not just write something over top of it.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2