Double checking grub-install -- LAST POST

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Jul 3 17:58:21 UTC 2008

Hi Tim and others who may have been watching this thread.

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 20:22 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 00:35 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Perhaps I am being just a bit stubborn, but I wanted to learn how to
> > diagnose the problem first, not just write something over top of it.
>
> Understanding what's going on is fine, and good.  I don't discount the
> importance of it.
>
> The solution for a duff MBR is to rewrite the MBR with what you want.
> You don't uninstall an unwanted bootloader, you put another boot record
> (that you want) over the top.

Messed around a bit more; but the final outcome was the double
splashimages continue:

1) I ran "fixmbr" from my WindowsXP istallation/rescue disk.
in case there was some ghost of something left over from BootMagic.
2) then, I ran from my Fedora installation/rescue disk
on the rescue command line:
grub
> root (hd1,4)
> setup (hd0)
> quit
Everything grub-like installed fine.

So the answer must be grub is switching video modes.
I wonder if I should report this as a Fedora bug against grub ?

I seem to be the only one with this issue -- and it is not a major
issue, just something I was hoping to clean up.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2