Can't get CNN video sound ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Jul 3 19:08:25 UTC 2008

Hi;

I am somewhat of a media newbie.  In F8 I was able to setup/get sound
with videos.  YouTube and CNN for example, remain silent for me in F9.

I know I probably need a plugin; in F8 out of frustration I just
downloaded mp3 -- I think.

1) how do I get sound for youtube and CNN?

FireFox about says I have the following plugins;

File name: nswrapper_32_64.libflashplayer.so
        Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

File name: libtotem-basic-plugin.so
        The Totem 2.23.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

File name: libtotem-complex-plugin.so
        The Totem 2.23.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

File name: libtotem-cone-plugin.so
        The Totem 2.23.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

File name: libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
        The Totem 2.23.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

File name: libtotem-mully-plugin.so
        DivX Web Player version 1.4.0.233

File name: libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
        The Totem 2.23.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

File name: librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
        This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes
        Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.

File name: gcjwebplugin.so
        The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java
        applets.

File name: npwrapper.so
        nspluginwrapper is a cross-platform NPAPI plugin viewer, in
        particular for linux/i386 plugins.
        This is beta software available under the terms of the GNU
        General Public License.

2) More generally, how does one go about determining what plugin, file
or codec one needs when confronted with a video, sound, movie etc. that
won't play?

So far, I have just been randomly downloading stuff until it works,  or,
taking suggestions from people who seem to know, but not being able to
really figure it out for myself.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2