Laptop Battery Life Again
promac at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:40:50 UTC 2008
I noticed that when I boot on kernel 2.6.25,
my laptop battery, according to gnome, has 3h:40 min of
charge. However, when booting on a 2.6.24 kernel,
this number goes up to 4h:20 min.
Then, I collected some interesting links, discussing this issue.
My questions are:
1) should I follow powertop advices blindly?
2) On the first link, in the topic
Reducing Power Usage Of Fedora
Raul Sundaram recommends using
echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
Why this is not done automatically?
3) In the third link, there is an acpi script that really works,
and can be used to change the parameters, when switching from
battery to power chord (although some options are wrong,
specially the hdparm use - be careful).
4) What about laptop-mode-tools available from Dries' repo?
5) Why different kernels have different expectations, regarding battery
I would like to hear some advice, because I have not owned
a laptop for some time, and I do not want to burst my HD
or shorten my battery life.
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the fedora-list