Can't get DHCP to assign specific addresses

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sun Jul 6 15:09:10 UTC 2008

I have an older server (FC5) still acting as my dhcp server on my home
network. I have a few laptops that I'm trying to get DHCP to assign
specific addresses from the pool. For example, I want to be able to VNC
to my wife's laptop (running Vista). Of course I could assign a static
address, but this always causes problems when she takes it somewhere.

Here's my config for dhcp:

# home
subnet 192.168.20.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	option routers 192.168.20.1;
	option domain-name-servers 192.168.20.2;
	range 192.168.20.50 192.168.20.100;
	}
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

# Laptop
host laptop1 {
	deny client-updates;
	hardware ethernet 00:1B:77:85:DF:3F;
	fixed-address 192.168.20.50;
	}

I've run wireshark and the pc is definitely hitting this dhcp server.
I've tried it with allowing and denying client updates. For some reason
the laptop keeps getting 192.168.20.99 instead of 192.168.20.50.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,
James