Swap Partition in F8 & Drive Partitioning

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Jul 7 01:34:46 UTC 2008

[root at localhost ~]# fdisk /dev/sda

I took out a 160gb ide hard drive that had a working & updated 64-bit F8
OS and replaced it with a 250gb SATA drive. I placed the ide drive in an
external case with a USB interface and mounted the drive using a knoppix
live cd. I used the following command in a terminal to clone the ide
drive to the sata drive:

> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda

The computer boots into F8 without any problems and runs just like it
did before. (I have to admit that I was amazed that it was so easy to
clone the old drive.) I don't remember (forgot to check) what the
partitioning was on the ide F8 drive. When I use fdisk:

> fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 30401.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250058268160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000edcca

/dev/sda1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              26       19457   156087540   8e  Linux LVM

Command (m for help): v
175818412 unallocated sectors

So I take it that there is a lot of free space not being used. I can put
it into a partition but I'm at a loss to know what type of partition
(extended, primary, logical). Also, isn't there supposed to be a swap
partition? If someone could point me in the right direction I would
appreciate it.

Rick B.