linux distribution

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Jul 7 05:26:27 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 10:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> ann kok wrote:
>>

>>> what is the different between fedora and gentee
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help
>>>

>> First "gentee" is an Open Source Free Programming Language.  You probably
>> mean "gentoo".
>>
>> You can read about gentoo here http://www.gentoo.org/ and hopefully do your
>> own research and come to your own conclusions.  I'm not sure why anyone
>> would ask this kind of general question....
>>

> Maybe she just expected a general type of answer. :) Ric

If indeed the OP did mean Gentoo the shortest answer that I would give
having used both is that Gentoo is compile focused (you set appropriate
flags and each package you install is compiled) versus Fedora taking a
Binary approach (try for the set of options that will suit most users).

In my experience each approach has advantages and disadvantages.  The
most obvious being that it is possible to get very lean systems using
Gentoo that run well on older hardware.  The downside to this is that
build time for a Gentoo system can be significantly larger.    This also
leads to more planning being required in Gentoo if you want to replicate
builds across multiple systems with small hardware differences.

I hope this helps :)