How to change LBA48 addressing capability

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 8 06:45:16 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:59 -0600, Dan Hensley wrote:
>> I recently sent an inquiry to this list about fdisk being unable to seek
>> one of my two basically identical disks.  Both are Western Digital 250Gb
>> disks.
>>
>> 	Model Number:       WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0
>> 	Model Number:       WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0
>
> *Not* identical...  And my *brief* Googling suggests they're different
> sizes, but you might want to double check that.

my long time experience using western digital agrees with
what your googling find.

if dan would check wd site he will most likely find physical
difference of drives and he is looking at rounded numbers that
do not reflect actual physical.

also, a drive may be specified as 3 or 4 disks, where in fact
it may only be 2 physical.

internal cpu of hard drives control what is seen at connector.

--

tc,hago.

.