sendmail

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 9 04:28:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 22:50 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Boinc is probably starting so soon after NetworkManager that the
> network is not up yet.  It's technically a bug in Boinc that it
> doesn't wait for a network connection and periodically re-try to
> send/grab the data.

I'd agree with that.  Likewise for other services, particularly if you
have a configuration to listen to all interfaces, without specifying
addresses for them.

> But for the moment, you can add the line:
>
> NETWORKWAIT=yes
>
> to /etc/sysconfig/network and startup will block for 10 seconds or
> until a network connection is up, whichever is sooner.
>
> This solution avoids the restart.  Maybe this will work for sendmail
> as well.

Though, what will happen with the various services if the network goes
down and up again?  (As it can.)  Will they stall, will they recover
automatically?

A network can go down (especially if you're on dialup or wireless), and
DHCP servers can change IPs on you.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.