sendmail

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 05:30:21 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 7/8/08, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> From: Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: Re: sendmail
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Tuesday, July 8, 2008, 9:28 PM
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 22:50 -0400, William Case wrote:
> I'd agree with that.  Likewise for other services,
> particularly if you
> have a configuration to listen to all interfaces, without
> specifying
> addresses for them.
> Though, what will happen with the various services if the
> network goes
> down and up again?  (As it can.)  Will they stall, will
> they recover
> automatically?
>
> A network can go down (especially if you're on dialup
> or wireless), and
> DHCP servers can change IPs on you.
>
> --

/*  I apologize ahead of time, this is not a hijacking but a related problem with sendmail, if anyone feels offended, I'll start a new thread upon request */

I have had some problems trying to update a machine with sendmail.  I have applied your script but changed the ntpd service to sendmail.

I have NetworkManager running, but it does not do anything.  I use dialup to connect and technically do not use it.  I ran the modified script with sendmail in place of ntpd and I got

[root at localhost Documents]# ./sendmail-script
./sendmail-script: line 14: [: ==: unary operator expected
./sendmail-script: line 26: [: ==: unary operator expected

I tried to edit it to find what I did wrong, but

[root at localhost Documents]# gedit sendmail-script &
[1] 15012

I could not find where or what was wrong.  So I manually checked the status of sendmail and I got the following:

[root at localhost Documents]# service sendmail status
sendmail (pid  21862) is running...
sm-client (pid  21871) is running...
[1]+  Done                    gedit sendmail-script
[root at localhost Documents]# service sendmail restart
Shutting down sm-client:                                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down sendmail:                                    [  OK  ]
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [  OK  ]
[root at localhost Documents]# service sendmail status
sendmail (pid  15092) is running...
sm-client (pid  15101) is running...

 I now try to update the machine to linux counter and I get:

[olivares at localhost Documents]$ ./machine-update -i
/bin/df: `/home/olivares/.gvfs': Transport endpoint is not connected
Here you can specify some info that the script can't know for itself
Your Linux Counter reg#, if any [381662]:
Your machine's counter reg#, if any [382519]:
This is what will be sent to the Linux Counter if you
run the program with the -m switch. Now, NOTHING IS SENT
< snip removed to save space >

[olivares at localhost Documents]$ ./machine-update -m
/bin/df: `/home/olivares/.gvfs': Transport endpoint is not connected

I tried the machine-update-beta script from linux counter and I got:

[olivares at localhost Documents]$ chmod +x machine-update-beta
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ ./machine-update-beta -i
Can't locate Mail/Sendmail.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib64/perl5/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/local/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./machine-update-beta line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./machine-update-beta line 16.

I have checked the queue and I got

[root at localhost ~]# mailq
		/var/spool/mqueue (5 requests)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
m695ImTl015224     4997 Wed Jul  9 00:18 <olivares at localhost.localdomain>
                 (Deferred: Connection timed out with beth.counter.li.org.)
					 <machine-registration at counter.li.org>
m652mvBl022327*      50 Fri Jul  4 21:48 <olivares at localhost.localdomain>
                 (host map: lookup (gmail.com): deferred)
					 <olivares14031 at gmail.com>
m652PGXN021917     5094 Fri Jul  4 21:25 <olivares at localhost.localdomain>
                 (host map: lookup (counter.li.org): deferred)
					 <machine-registration at counter.li.org>
m652nEUF022367     5094 Fri Jul  4 21:49 <olivares at localhost.localdomain>
m652ikWX022255       15 Fri Jul  4 21:44 <olivares at localhost.localdomain>
                 (host map: lookup (gmail.com): deferred)
					 <olivares14031 at gmail.com>
					 <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
		Total requests: 5

I tried to send sample mail to my yahoo mail(this one) and the one at gmail and the message(s) did not get through.

I have known that at certain times the linux counter site is down or does not accept incoming mail.  But I have not been successfull for a while to update either of my machines and I wanted to successfully update the machines and update the latest one that I have.

TIA,

Antonio