[F9] laptop not booting - reinstall MBR?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Jul 9 19:07:53 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:

> To repair the MBR:
>
> boot a rescue CD
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
> # grub-install /dev/sda
>
> On some systems, it has been necessary to use old arguments:
>
> # grub-install --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda
>
> # exit
>
> That should do it.
>
> Good luck!

Hmm...  There may be a bigger problem.
Trying to mount the existing installation as /mnt/sysimage (entering
rescue mode, before the command prompt), I get:

"An error occurred trying to mount some or all of your system.  Some of
it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage."

At the command prompt, I note that *nothing* is under /mnt/sysimage.

 From there, running "chroot /mnt/sysimage" gets me:
"chroot: cannot run command `/bin/sh': No such file or directory"

/bin/sh is a link to /usr/bin/sh, which does seem to be there.

Am I totally hosed, or is there hope?  In case it makes a difference,
this is an F8 rescue disk, but the laptop HD is F9.

  -Don