F8 and a GPS -OT

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jul 10 02:24:14 UTC 2008

Simon Slater wrote:
> I don't suppose someone of your ilk could point a young bloke to some
> reading on serial comms with linux boxes?  I have a box of odd things
> I'd like to get going to save some manual data input (microchip reader,
> barcode scanners etc).  Might even be useful when I get a GPS next year.
> I keep putting it off for a rainy day, but the drought hasn't broken
> yet.  About 20 years ago did a bit with minicom and remote weather
> stations, but can't recall how I got started.

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with programming serial ports
is that there are two different sets of commands to deal with. Look
at the open and fopen man pages.

If you would like to see one of my early attempts to deal with
logging data from a serial device, do a search for
cld-0.2-2.src.rpm. You might also find this link interesting...

http://freshmeat.net/projects/meter/

Mikkel