NetworkManager: How to set caching nameserver?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jul 11 01:28:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 14:54 -0700, stan wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> -snip-
> > 	My solution, at this point, is "yum erase NetworkManger" and then go
> > back to the older scripts which WORK and work reliably.
> >
> > 	Unless you're having problems with wireless (and there are better
> > solutions to that problem) NetworkManager has no advantages over the
> > ifup/ifdown scripts and a whole lot of disadvantages for those of us who
> > have custom configurations.
> >
> > 	I've removed NetworkManger even from my laptop where I do move from
> > network to network and wired to wireless, because I can not tolerate its
> > behavior and its refusal to respect configuration options and
> > established scripting principles.  It's just not worth the headaches it
> > creates, even in that environment.
> >

> Thanks for this posting.  Something clicked for me when I read it and I
> removed all
> the NetworkManager stuff.  I'll occasionally get the network not coming
> up on reboot
> or timing out waiting for the network, that never used to happen.
> Had a problem with a second ethernet card existing as a phantom after I
> removed it.
> Little irritations, easily remedied and then passed by.  But it used to
> be so reliable, it was forgettable.
> Maybe this will bring that back.
>
> If it doesn't, easy enough to reinstall NetworkManager.
>
> I think you meant   yum remove NetworkManager   ,  erase is for RPM.

	No...  Both work...  "yum erase" works.  I use "erase" with yum and
"-e" with rpm.  OTOH...  "remove" with yum and "--erase" with rpm are
functionally equivalently in each.  Matter of taste is all.

	yum -	erase|remove

	rpm -	-e|--erase

	From the man pages...

	Mike