KDE hosed - no display

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 11:02:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 10:33, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2008 09:42, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > This morning my F9 box gets to the login screen, then I get a white box
> > on a black background.  The white box disappears and I'm left with a
> > black screen. It seems that things carry on in the background, as, after
> > a while, I get the chimes that signal that the system is ready to go.
> >
> > I've checked that it isn't the kernel that's the problem - it happens on
> > both kernels.  The session menu at login doesn't show any other dm, so I
> > thought I must have forgotten to install an extra one.  I went into
> > failsafe mode and first tried for updates, to be told that there are
> > none. I then tried to install gnome-desktop, figuring that it would pick
> > up the necessaries from there.  It says that gnome-desktop is already
> > installed.
> >
> > At this point I'm at a loss to know what's next.  Advice?
>
> /var/log/messages tells me that
>
> pulseaudio failed
> X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly (presumably the important
> one)
>
> restorecond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link
> (/etc/resolv.conf) Invalid argument
>
> /etc/resolv.conf contains the IP addresses of my ISP's two nameservers.
>
> There's no clue as to why the X server terminated.
>
> System-config-display appears to be using correct settings.

I've just got the logwatch report for that box.  Among yesterday's updates
were

xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-server-common-1.4.99.905-1.20080701.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-vesa-2.0.0-1.fc9.i386
glx-utils-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-glint-1.2.1-1.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99.905-1.20080701.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-nv-2.1.10-1.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-utils-7.4-1.fc9.i386

Presumably the problem is somewhere here.

Anne