KDE hosed - no display

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:03:50 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 14:27, Donald Reader wrote:
> I had the same problem a day or two ago when I updated. I thought
> it might have been cause of my computer freezing up during the
> the update which might have been part of it. Anyway once I got a
> driver back I had the same issue. I could login to kde as root but
> not user. I tracked it down to the .kde/share/config directory but
> not sure which file in it. What I did was delete my user account after
> backing it up then recreated it which let me into kde again. I then
> logged back in to a terminal and renamed the newer .kde dir brought the
> old one back in and rsynced the new .kde/share/config directory back
> into it and got most of my kde settings back.
> Hope this helps you some

It certainly does.  It had never occurred to me to log in as root, but you are
quite correct, kde starts for root.  I've therefore renamed ~/.kde and am
back in to kde desktop.

I've added this information to bug #454055, since it is a surprise
complication.  Nothing concerned with kde was involved in that update, yet
something seems to have messed the desktop.  Most odd.

Thanks for the help.

Anne