F9: Problem with Services tool

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jul 11 18:42:15 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:31:36 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
> > Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > >
> > > Somehow, the system-conf-services tool stopped working.
> > > Starting this brings up the tool, it hangs with a blank list
> > > and 'No services selected' in a greyed out right panel.
>
> > Isn't there anyone that can help me solve this one?  I am really
> > pulling out my hair over this supposedly *simple* program
> > and I cannot for the life of me figure out why this sucker hangs!
>
> Be somewhat creative. No immediate need to debug the Python code in
> /usr/sbin/system-config-services, but you could move all service scripts
> from /etc/init.d to a backup location, install a single script and see
> whether that changes anything. With binary search you could find out
> whether any of the scripts causes s-c-s to malfunction. Else, next would
> be to empty /etc/rc.d/rc?.d (and/or examine it for circular links or
> similar damage) and see whether that helps. If it doesn't, real debugging
> might be necessary.

All of files moved out into a temp area and add one-by-one into the
respective
places?  If so, do I remain in booted state and do a Kill -1 1 or
something to
test this out?  What scares me is that if I reboot at each test, would I
be caught
in a state that I could never log in?

Please advise how I should go about this?

Thanks!
Dan