NetworkManager: How to set caching nameserver?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Jul 11 19:34:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 09:48 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> > 	I have a longer rant that I'm strongly tempted to send.
>
> I'd wouldn't necessarily post your rant here, as most of us here agree
> that NM is a bad idea gone wrong.

Speak for yourself (unless you have hard data to back up your
assertion).

> You should, rather, post your rant as
> a nice big, fat bugzilla report on the NM and/or Gnome bugzillas.

Better would be a handful of focused, reproducible error reports, so
that the problems can be fixed and the tool improved.  Rants aren't
really helpful as Bugzilla reports.  They are, however, great ways to
generate traffic on mailing lists.

> It'd also be nice if there was a decent how-to on the various aspects of
> the configuraton of wpa_supplicant (what the various "key_mgmt",
> "pairwise" and other parameters mean and how to find out what to use,
> etc.) so normal non-geeks can sort it out.  As far as I can see, people
> submit to NM nastiness because they can't sort those out themselves.

I agree with the need for more and better documentation for
wpa_supplicant and for NM.  But I mostly "submit" to NM because it
mostly works for me.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences